The Cool Block Program
The journey is taken right where you live.
- Each Cool Block begins with a block leader - a volunteer who is ready to make change right on their block.
- Following a leadership training, the block leader goes door to door to invite all the households on the block to an information meeting. By the end of the meeting, a Cool Block team has begun to form.
- The Cool Block leader then holds a team-building meeting, where a vision for the journey takes shape. Members sign up to lead or host one or more Cool Block topic meetings. Together, the team will explore eight topics over about six months - building community, preparing for disasters and protecing the planet.
- Each topic includes a menu of detailed action recipes to choose from. Whether living in an apartment, a condo, a house or a dorm, team members find and select several actions in each topic which they most want or need to take and are practical to do in their household. The actions are strengthened by local resources which support team members in taking action.
- At the start of the program, households are working to change habits within their home. By the end of the program, the team is working together on actions that will impact their block, neighborhood, city and planet. Achievements add up within their city to be celebrated!
To learn more about the Cool Block experience, watch this short video.