Welcome to Spring 2020!
This is a dynamic yet in some ways quiet time - due to the socially-distanced lifestyle our culture has adopted in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus. Times like these reveal our potential - to adapt with resilience, use resources thoughtfully, bring creativity to our daily lives, collaborate with neighbors and find joy in unexpected places. These practices are valued and nurtured on a Cool Block. Read this inspirational story from the co-founder of Shareable!
In response -
We have adapted the Cool Block program so it can be done virtually as you shelter in place. It can serve as a placed-based social support system to help you through this challenging time while also improving your quality of life and world.
- Current Cool Block communities can use it to continue their city-citizen partnership during the stay-at-home period.
- Interested community leaders can use it to acquaint themselves with the program and its potential for their own community.
- Potential block leaders anywhere can start a Cool Block as a place-based support system that can serve them now and into the future. We have made 1,000 free accounts available "At-Large" as a public service called the Chrysalis Cool Block program.
A Transformational Chrysalis
The Cool Block program has the potential to help you make your initiatory passage through the planetary "goo" to the world we want and need to create on the other side.
- It will help you as a household and block or building become more disaster resilient - better able to address the multiple stresses we are facing and could face - by providing a social support system of neighbors.
- It will provide you with economic resiliency by helping you save on average $400 from being more energy efficient while reducing your carbon footprint and helping us all have a better life on the one planet we share.
- It will increase the livability of your block or building making it healthier, safer, friendlier, greener and more resourceful from sharing tools and services with one another.
For a taste of what's cool, see a story from a cool block formed just before this period began: A Very "Cool" Block.
Building Your Community Resiliency
A Cool Block amplifies any community emergency management support system. Right now, your local emergency management system of first responders may be overwhelmed with an avalanche of needs. Aside from the fact that they have limited capacity to help you, you are also helping them better help others in life threatening situations.
- Imagine by creating greater personal and shared resiliency on your block or building you are providing a service to all the vulnerable high risk people in your community.
- Imagine your block with the resiliency to be able face climate related challenges ahead.
- Imagine a whole community able to take care of itself block by block, neighborhood by neighborhood.
It would be one of the great silver linings of this challenging time!
The Cool Block journey is an integration of programs used by thousands of people. Embedded is an empowerment process that has been used by millions of people across the world. It will help you and your neighbors make the needed changes to come out the other side with new friendships, true neighbors and a better life on the street where you live. Take a video tour.